Special Election: SLCounty Mayor Replacement Procedures
Here are the steps:
(1) Ben McAdams will submit his resignation whenever he chooses to do so, but before being sworn into Congress on January 3, 2019.
(2) Upon his resignation, the County Council shall notify the Salt Lake County Democratic Party Chair of a vacancy in the office of Mayor. This will happen on their own timing, but likely within a few days or less of McAdams' resignation.
(3) Once the County Council has notified the Chair of the vacancy, the party has 30 days for the Chair to give a name back to the Council to be appointed to replace McAdams. The party will determine and announce a filing period after notice of vacancy is received by the Chair of the party.
(4) Article VII, J of the Salt Lake County Democratic Party Constitution governs the replacement procedures. A special meeting of the Central Committee shall be called, and an election held among members. In the first round, all candidates shall be on the ballot, and if any candidate receives 60% they shall be declared the winner. If no candidate gets to 60% on the first round, there will be a second round between the top two candidates, with the candidate getting the most votes in that second round being declared the winner.
(5) Once Central Committee has selected a replacement, the County Party Chair shall submit that name to the County Council.
(6) The County Council shall formally appoint that person as the new mayor. This person will finish McAdams' term through 2020, when the Mayor will be on the ballot again.
List Access for Candidates
Please fill out the following form for access to the Salt Lake County Democratic Party leadership list. This list includes members of the Central Committee, Delegates, Neighborhood leadership, electeds, and the EC. Based on your race, we will determine which group of leaders to provide to you.
Please note lists are only available to participating campaigns for the upcoming SLCounty Mayor Special Election (other, future elections - i.e. Party Leadership - will be available at a future date). This list will be available to all campaigns who have filled out this form starting on December 1, 2018. Everyone who signs up on this list will receive updated access to the list every Monday morning following December 1, 2018 through the date of the Special Election (still to be determined).
We are requiring disclosure of which campaign is making the request. Please note that the SLCounty Democratic Party is dedicated to discretion and will not share any candidate information with anyone until the candidate has made a formal and public declaration. The only members of the SLCounty Executive team who will have access to this form will be the Executive Director (Bonnie Billings), Chair (Q. Dang), and Secretary (Kat Payne).
You may fill out the form as soon as you want and will receive it on December 1, 2018 along with regular, weekly updates: