The Salt Lake County Democratic Party Q2 Central Committee Meeting will be held at the Salt Lake County Government Center (2001 S State Street, Salt Lake City, North Building Room Auditorium) on June 28. Registration will begin at 6:30, the meeting at 7:00. Only Central Committee Members may participate/vote, but the public is welcome to observe, as all Democratic Party Meetings are open.
The agenda is as follows:
- Approval of the Minutes (attached)
- Election of the First Vice Chair
- Committee Reports
- Handbook Harassment Policy (it will be available on the website shortly www.slcountydems.com)
Item 5 warrants additional comment, as the issue of sexual harassment has come to the forefront in the context of recent events and allegations. First, as an Executive Committee we want you to know that a task force was already working to create a policy since April. The current document was produced independently of that effort by the Executive Committee in order to accelerate the process once those allegations became public. The primary input for that document (attached) came from our Legal Counsel, Kim Bowman, as the EC needed to ensure that the document took existing law into account.
Accordingly and in an effort to ensure input from a broader and more inclusive range of stakeholders, this document should be viewed as a draft document open for comment, discussion, and change. Additionally, please note that two separate documents will eventually be produced. One (of which this is a draft) will ‘set the standard/definition’ for those incidents that constitute harassment. The second document will address the procedures that the party will follow when handling a complaint of harassment.
The Executive Committee is proposing the following process to manage input from the various stakeholders:
- First, a ‘core committee’ will be formed to oversee the process. It will be comprised of the original task force (myself, Rep Luz Escamilla, Rep Angela Romero, Rep Rebecca Chavez-Houck, and Josie Valdez) plus the new 1st Vice Chair of the EC and Kim Bowman (Legal Counsel to the EC).
- Second, the process will be opened to all who wish to submit comments, suggestions, or amendments in writing. For the moment, those should be sent to myself (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to Kim Bowman (email@example.com)
- Third, the core committee will meet in an effort to review and incorporate the written suggestions (as appropriate)
- Fourth, a meeting open to all who wish to participate will be called at a later date (to be announced) to review and revise that document further.
- Finally, the finished product will be presented to the Central Committee for approval.
Salt Lake County Democratic Party Secretary